Also See The Zizzo Allan Climate Website

Monday, September 12, 2011

Doctor's visits and early feelings of joy


After the initial shock of finding out we were pregnant, we were so so so excited. Although neither Jesse or I had our careers established the way we'd like to before kids, we were thrilled to be expanding our family while still in our 20's (by a nose - Jesse turned 30 2 months after the babies were born...but we'll get to that later). We figured it would just get harder the longer we waited and wanted all 4 grandparents to be able to really enjoy their grandkids. Plus, Jesse has wanted to have kids from the second we were married and I was always saying "not yet, not yet"...well, I realized as I got closer to my 29th birthday - why not now? And bang, pregnant.

I am not one for keeping secrets or for waiting to tell anyone the news but was able to hold off for a few days, maybe weeks...I ended up telling my law partner Travis the very next time I saw him though. I was planning on telling him after 3 months, you know, just to be "sure"...but when I saw him, and I knew what a big deal this was going to be for both of us, I thought it was the right thing to do to tell him right away - so we could plan out how we could get through this whole thing, together. I mean, we hadn't even been working together for a year, and I was up and getting pregnant. I must say, Travis is the best partner a girl could ask for. He was not only excited for us, but downright saintly in his approach to the whole thing (more on that later too)...needless to say, that conversation let me know I was truly fortunate to have Travis as a partner. We were going to get through this, and thrive. I was certain.

I made my first doctor's appointment for what I thought would be about 6 weeks pregnant. Here is a picture of us after that first appointment. We went to High Park, found a tree and told ourselves that I would come back to this tree to chart my "growth". Needless to say, this is the only picture by the tree...



At the first doc's appointment there was no indication we were having twins. We discussed genetic testing and decided to go to Mt. Sinai for testing as there were enough risk factors, we felt, to warrant that. I was beginning to consider whether I would get my GP to follow up during pregnancy or use a mid-wife or other shared care...I was leaning towards sticking with my GP

I was starting to feel quite tired and a bit sick. I was fortunate to be able to ward off sickness by constantly eating crackers...but I was so sleepy. I think I went to bed around 8pm the whole first trimester. I was exhausted. I figured that was par for the course when pregnant.

The pictures below were taken when I was 7 weeks pregnant. We decided to go hiking and apple picking. The one with the pumpkin was supposed to signify that I had a little pumpkin brewing inside.



Ten weeks or so into the pregnancy I went for my 2nd prenatal appointment. I was starting to feel bloated already and actually felt quite a bit less nauseous (I was a bit worried that the feeling of this sickness subsiding was a sign that the pregnancy wasn't going well)...but the doctor reassured me. She tested my hormones, and they were good, she tested my blood, all good. She also did something that would change my life forever - located a heartbeat. When I heard that sound I took a deep breath of relief. I said "thanks" and left as if nothing had really happened. But when I got to my car I just started crying. Tears of joy, pure emotion. I was carrying a being with its own heartbeat. I was going to have a son or daughter. It was all really happening. I quickly called Jesse, and my mom. This was a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment