Ok, so I'm getting over all this talking about being pregnant - but I think I should get it out before the babies are officially 6 months and it becomes ancient history (this milestone occurs next week).
After the hellish ordeal that was dealing with chromosomal testing and then finding out their chromosomes were normal and we were very likely going to have "normal" little girls the focus of the pregnancy turned from solely being focused on the health of the babes, but also on me.
 |
this is me, my mom and my brother at the state capital of Alabama. This is the best I would feel for a good few months!!
After Christmas, we went to Alabama to celebrate my brother and his then fiance's engagement. Although we had an absolute blast there, I think I did far too much walking for a lady pregnant with twins (the walking tour of downtown Montgomery and the walking in Airports may have put me over the edge) because I started to get really really severe pelvic pain. In fact, the day we got home from Alabama I had to make a trip to the emergency room because the pain was almost not bearable and my dad (who is a doctor) and I thought I might be in pre-term labour. Turns out I was not in labour (thank God!!) but was experiencing pelvic dysfunction. |
In a nut-shell: my pelvic and pubic bones were separating and becoming very painful. My doctor told me I had to limit walking and could no longer walk the 10 mins down to the subway from my house. The rest of my pregnancy I was forced to take taxis or drive EVERYWHERE. So not cool since a) I love public transit and want to lower my carbon footprint by taking it and b) taxis and parking is uber expensive in Toronto. But, alas this pregnancy was a finite experience and I could handle a few months of this...
I started to work from home as much as possible and spent a LOT of time in bed. I even broke the rule Jesse and I had about no TV in the bedroom and we bought a TV and mounted it in plain view of my bed...perfect distractions awaited me for those days I just couldn't bear to do much of anything because the pain was that bad.
All the while our little Baby A and Baby B were growing like weeds and doing fabulously. They were encouraging me to eat, eat, eat. I happily obliged and ballooned to proportions I never thought possible.
 |
| This was at the Janet Jackson concert on March 13, about 5 weeks before I had the babies...you can imagine how much bigger I got in the next 5 weeks... |
The next worry was pre-eclampsia. Around mid-march I started to have high blood pressure and the doctors were worried I was started to "brew" pre-eclampsia - a potentially serious conditions where pregnant women can have seizures and go into comas - not something we wanted. It's not preventable and once you have it the only 'cure' is delivering the babies. So, we were watching my blood pressure. I was making weekly trips to the high risk OB for check-ups...everything was going well and I was hanging in there.
Ending on a lighter note, when I was 30 weeks pregnant Jesse and I took our last trip sans babies and went to Montreal. It was a work trip for me, but we all agreed that I should not be travelling unaccompanied in this state. It was a lot of fun. We stayed in old Montreal so could take short walks and experience it all without causing me too much pain or trouble. I'm really glad we had that last trip together before the babies arrived.
 |
| walking in Old Montreal with the babies along for the ride. |
 |
| "enjoying" our tasting menu at a local french restaurant...It was an organ, and it wasn't edible, but the rest of the meal was delish |
 |
| another meal, this one more familiar...crepes |
No comments:
Post a Comment